Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Pizza and Beans

Aunt Pauline and Uncle Allen were favorites of mine since I was a child.  Pauline was my grandmother's younger sister and Allen was her husband.  I can still picture Pauline zipping about and Allen with his shirt unbuttoned with a beer in a beer cozy in his hand.  They were fun and there was always a smart ass comment.  There were a few times when I remember Pauline and Allen staying with us at our house.  They would stop by in their trailer and other than a nap or two, we were altogether visiting.  What wonderful memories!

Pauline had a way of looking at you and listening to you that made you feel as if you were one of the most important people in her life.  I haven't seen that talent in that many people but I have in my grandmother and her sisters...and I suspect that they got it from their mother.  Pauline made me feel special and important.  I think she did that for just about everyone.  I found it funny and endearing that just about every card I ever received always had a wonderful note in it which included what the current weather was in Waldport, OR where she lived.  They were lovely newsy notes that always made me smile. 

Allen was a big bear of a man with wonderful hugs and a twinkle in his eye.  I knew as a child that he had a bad back because my parents told me, but it wasn't something that he ever told me much about.  Allen was always good for a story and he was always teasing me.  I used to think that we had something special because we had the same birthday.  I can remember time and time again that I found myself sitting next to Allen to hear what he would say next.  I learned a lot of family stories at his side!

I think I must have been about 19 and it was the first trip that I drove to Canby, OR to spend spring break with my grandmother and great grandparents.  I started out my trip getting lost in Portland, OR because I took a wrong turn.  I ended up in a not so nice area :)  I got myself turned around and made it to Canby.  I spent a few days there and then decided to go down to see Aunt Pauline and Uncle Allen at Waldport, OR.  I was excited to go and see the ocean and have some wonderful seafood.  After another adventure in driving (this was my first long road trip), I made it to Aunt Pauline and Uncle Allen's.  After the initial greeting, Aunt Pauline was excited to show me her home town.  I changed out of my new tennis shoes and we began by walking around on the beach and then walking through town.  I learned at that point, that I wasn't the only person that Pauline made feel special.  Pauline was known and affectionately greeted by everyone.  What a wonderful special day that I spent with her.  I have never forgotten it!

When we got home, Pauline promised me a special treat.  I am not sure we were on the same page, because I was hoping for seafood.  Instead, Pauline brought out a frozen pepperoni pizza.  I was a freshman in college and my tastes had been elevated to Domino's and pizza delivery.  As we sat down to eat, Pauline took a pot off the stove of Allen's favorite beans.  Then I saw Allen grab a spoonful of those beans and place them on his pizza.  I can honestly say that I have never seen that before or since. 

We lost Allen back in 2001 and we lost Pauline on Jan 24, 2020 at the age of 94.  I suppose that I will aways think of that trip to Allen and Pauline's and remember the fun and enthusiasm of Pauline and the twinkle and teasing of Allen's.  Whenever I see the ocean, I remember walking on the beach with Pauline....and whenever I see a pot of beans - Allen definitely comes to mind.  I have missed Allen for the last 20 years and will miss Pauline terribly.  I can't help thinking of how lucky I have been to have known and loved these two wonderful people who always made me feel special.  I hope they knew how special and they were loved by me and everyone else who knew them!
 

3 comments:

  1. Great tribute to wonderfully loved and amazing people. I am such a lucky girl to have had such awesome grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were lucky. I remember on that particular trip that you and your sister came over. You were both grubby from playing outside. Pauline and Allen just adored you and were so excited to show you off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this share! Its beautiful and exactly how Julie's Momma always made me feel too, special. Momma B. would come visit us girls, we have coffee, giggle, enjoy the sunshine, crafts, and chat about all kinds of topics. She took the time, always showed interest in each of us, played her harmonica on my b.day, & expressed joy in so many things. No doubt Momma Becker was the special one. I feel blessed to have known her and the time I have share with her. My girlfriend, Julie Becker has not fallen far from the apple tree, her Momma. I am blessed for Jules' friendship, love, and that she shared her Momma with me when I came to Waldport to visit too. <3 ...what a blessing to have learned how to love from this amazing woman, Pauline. PS... I am sorry to not have met Jules Dad, but from Jules' sharing of him I know that he too was great man, father, & character where they all shared a lot of laughter and fun.

    ReplyDelete