Abel Abram Pennington is the oldest son of Andrew Pennington and Hester Ann Blevins. He was born 17 May 1836 in Ashe Co., NC and d. 18 Sept 1920 in Washington Co., VA. I suppose that there is a clue as to the identity of Andrew's father with the naming of his oldest son. Only problem is that Abel and Abram were supposedly brothers and Abram is considered by most to be Andrew's father. Anyway Abel was married to Emily Blevins on 16 Oct 1861. Emily would have been Abel's first cousin. Her father was Daniel Blevins and mother was Lucy Ann Dickson. (Lucy was the daughter of Johanna Pennigton and Douglas Dickson). They had two children in two short years and Emily died in 1866. Perhaps the reason there weren't any more children after 1863 is because Abel enlisted into the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Abel must have gone back to live with his parents after his wife's death because he is recorded with them in the 1870 census with his two children. In 1871, Abel remarried to Sarah V. Able. Sarah was born on 17 Mar 1848 in Johnson Co., TN which is a neighboring county to Washington Co., VA. She was the daughter of Leander Abel and Mary Ann Bush.
In some census records Abel is listed as Abram or Abraham and in others he is listed as Abel. He is listed as Abel in the pension that was given to his widow after his death, so I suspect that Abel was his first name. Abel's pension lists his cause of death as Pleurisy and he is buried at Green Cove Baptist Church Cemetery in Green Cove, Washington Co., VA (Find A Grave #18709078) His second wife, Sarah survived him by 9 years and died on 19 Mar 1929 and is buried in the same cemetery. Something of interest is that Sarah's younger brother married her step daughter, Malvina Elizabeth Pennington.
Abel Abram and Emily Blevins had the following children:
- McClellan Pennington b. 15 Dec 1862 d. 8 Nov 1901 m. Mary Jane Blevins.
- Malvina Elizabeth Pennington b. 11 Sep 1863 d. 7 Mar 1920 m. Robert S Able
Abel Abram and Sarah Able had the following children:
- Columbia Jane Pennington b. 26 Jan 1873 d. 21 Jul 1961 m. William Harrison Dolinger
- Leander M. Pennington b. 10 Dec 1874 d. 5 Jan 1925 m. Ida Jane Hoosier
- Freelin E Pennington b. 22 Mar 1876 d. 19 Jan 1918 m. Carrie Cook
- Mary H. Pennington b. 16 Mar 1877 d. 27 Mar 1959 m. Calvin M. Hash
- Arthur Pennington b. 1881 d. bef 1906
- James Pennington b. 9 Feb 1883 d. 11 Mar 1963 m. Florence Loretta Blevins
- Orena Matilda Pennington b. 26 Jan 1886 d. 1970 m. D. Clinton Daye
- Dora M. Pennington b. 4 Jan 1888 d. 4 May 1920 m. Richard Elmer Venable
- F. Larelly Pennington b. 19 Nov 1891 d. be 1906
- Chester R. Pennington b. 9 Apr 1893 d bef 1910